Clean and inspect optical components and mounts and assemble optical doublets, triplets, sub-assemblies and final assemblies and test to final requirements. This job requires excellent visual acuity and manual dexterity. The ability to follow work instructions and make decisions at various stages of assembly are keys to success for this position.
Perform a variety of technical functions related to the calibration, alignment, fabrication, assembly and modification of optical assemblies in accordance with established practices, procedures and product/process documentation. Perform system-level testing of assemblies for image quality (MTF, stray light, relative illumination, transmission, distortion, and optical eccentricity), as well as component testing for reflectance, interferometric surface profiling, and coating spectrum evaluation. This position requires the ability to operate analysis equipment and perform tests by following established procedures.
- Clean and inspect optical components with clear apertures and mounts using MIL specifications
- Assemble and bond optical doublets and triplets using optical-grade adhesives according to procedure
- Clean and inspect optics post-alignment/assembly
- Assemble and bond lens elements within mounts and barrels according to procedure
- Complete and charge time to work orders and maintain job specific paperwork throughout the process
- Support calibration activities in all functional areas of optical testing department
- Maintain testing and calibration records in accordance with good manufacturing practices (GMP) and ISO requirements
- Provide rapid turn-around support as requested for OEM test work
- Assist in writing procedures for test methods
- Perform visual inspections of optics for defects related to fabrication
- Perform optical tests, including interferometric tests, to determine compliance to specifications
- Approve incoming materials by confirming specifications; conducting visual and measurement tests; rejecting and returning unacceptable materials
- Approve in-process production by confirming specifications; conducting visual and measurement tests; communicating required adjustments to production supervisor
- Approve finished products by confirming specifications; conducting visual and measurement tests; returning products for re-work; confirming re-work
- Document inspection results by completing reports and logs; summarizing re-work and waste; inputting data into quality database
- Use a variety of precision measuring instruments such as micrometers, vernier calipers, test sets, and gauging equipment
- Assist with devising dimensional gauging set-ups, perform part layout inspection and establishing part inspection procedures
- Assemble and deburr items in functional area or other departments as needed
- Tag and ship completed work orders
- Interface with Product Support Engineer to resolve quality issues
- Handle layouts for acceptable standards of machine ability and conformance to blueprints and engineering specifications
- Follow and enforce clean room protocols
- Maintain assembly tools and area in accordance with manufacturing practices
- Working knowledge of optics, optical elements, and optical test set ups
- Experience using interferometers, reflectometers, various gauges, and instruments
- Knowledge of good manufacturing practices (GMP), ISO, Bills of Material, opto-mechanical principles, and the handling, cleaning and inspection of optical components
- Use of shop mathematics, clear understanding of drawings and specifications, knowledgeable in machining and can demonstrate the use and results from measuring devices
- Basic knowledge of machine shop equipment such as conventional mills and lathes
- Good manual dexterity and visual acuity – 20/20 vision or corrected vision
- Ability to read and write English
- Basic computer and math skills
- Self-starter capable of working with very little direction.
- Ability to contribute as an individual and as a team member
- Ability to follow directions and procedures
- Good communication and time management skills
- Analytical troubleshooting / problem solving / decision making
- Must be available and flexible to work overtime when needed, including weekends
- Extreme attention to detail
- Optical manufacturing experience a plus
- Moderate physical exertion
- ERP system experience
- Associate's degree and/or 4 to 8 years’ experience in optics or related field; or equivalent combination
- ERP system experience – SAP preferred
This position reports to the Production Manager.
Qualified applicants should email, fax, or send resumes to: Navitar, 200 Commerce Drive, Rochester, NY 14623. Fax: (585) 359-4999 or email to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Navitar is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants are selected on the basis of demonstrated ability, experience, training and potential. It is the company's policy to select qualified persons without prejudice or discrimination and to comply with all federal, state and local laws and regulations in relation to hiring.